Thursday, November 15, 2007

Post 94 - tagged

I was tagged a little while ago by the lovely Linda of two pink possums with the crafting meme.
here goes:

1. When did you start to create and make craft?
I grew up on a farm so I think there is an essential sort of resourcefulness that comes from that kind of childhood –a sense of making-do. When I went to university to study welfare I really envied the art students. I loved the way they carried those big portfolio folders on the bus and all the exciting stuff in the art building. I lived with an art student and she was always drawing funny little pictures. One day for no real reason I made a softie of one of her characters and she loved it.


2. Why did you start creating?
I guess I started to craft during that university time because I had no money to buy gifts. I made rag dolls for my nieces out of chopped up clothes. I remember writing stories about each doll. They were called Pavlova and Asparagus! I developed a deep and binding love of the spotlight remnant bin, which I now extended to include all remnant bins.




3. Why do you create?
Wow ! What a question. Without being melodramatic I know that I need to create. It is a bit like having a secret identity , On the surface I do all the normal things, go to work, hang out with the kids but all the while some part of me is thinking of the project (or projects) that I have on the go or am constructing in my brain. Crafting slows me down and cheers me up.


4. What do you create?
These days I mostly sew and I joke with my friends that I am a novelty sewer, I have a lot of different projects on the go at a time. I have done so many things, paper making, dyeing, wire work, mosaic, raffia -hat making.............Right at this moment I get the most enjoyment from softies and dolls but that can change week to week or month to month. I often start something like the dolls and then get stuck on one element so I go back to bags or something else until I get an idea of how to proceed.

5. Has this changed since you began crafting?
The biggest change for me has probably been in my attitude to my craft. I know how important it is to me so I schedule it in as a priority. I have a sewing room that I love (way too small and always messy) and I no longer apologise for spending time in there. I am out and proud !!!!The change to my actual craft is that I don’t tend to feel I have to make useful things – even though my kids are big I love to make toys so I just make them and give them away.


Thanks Linda - this was really interesting, well for me at least. I guess I have never really stopped and thought about why I do this stuff, it is just so much a part of who I am. I really enjoyed this and will tag Annie of course - even if she has been dobbing on me lately !!!!!
and anyone else who would like to join in - I'm not very good at tagging am I?

Now I am about to take my not quite very well computer in to the computer doctor so it may be a very quiet weekend for me. Hope you all have a great weekend ........hmmmm no computer for a whole weekend, no blogs to read....................ok, I can cope -just don't do anything exciting till I get back !!!!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jodie - that was really interesting! I loved reading your reasons why! Just had a horrendous night at the school craft fair - feeling rubbish now, don't feel like Lucy Locket anymore - just unsuccessful mum from school! (and yet the last two fairs were really good - weird!) Drinking lots of white wine to cheer myself up and reading lovely blogs! Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Jodie.
    Like The Skyhooks song - Ego is not a Dirty word - well craft is like that - not a dirty word. It should be something to be proud of.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. You daughters room looks brilliant Jodie. I'm lovin' that red carpet, goes perfectly with your mural. Great to learn more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a great read Jodie - thank goodness we have crafting is all I can say! Loving the red carpet with the tree - your daughter must think it's fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey there, liked reading your answers. Linda also tagged me, but I'm not very good at passing on tags either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The room is just BRILLIANT! Can't wait to see Master Connors black carpet in situ. You are a good good mummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved reading your answers, I guess I am far too nosey!
    Thanks for sharing them with us! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hellloooooo !!!!